Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reading...is it really that hard?

I had my senior writing students read "The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allan Poe. I read this when I was in 7th or 8th grade. I didn't think twice about it, really, but the kids complained that it was hard to understand. These are all kids who are planning on going to college! I was shocked. Poe is not that difficult, and "Cask," though it does feature an unreliable narrator, is not hard to understand. I have no idea what they would do if I threw "The Yellow Wallpaper" at them, so now I am looking around for some simpler short stories.

Am I wrong though? I am questioning a few things.
First, is the writing of Poe that obtuse? Perhaps I need an objective viewpoint on this.
Secondly, shouldn't I be challenging these kids with more difficult readings, since they will soon be faced with far more trying assignments in college?
I would really love some feedback!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe try scaffolding a reading with them: read it together, and break it down. And yes, I think they're mostly being lazy, but I also think it's not a bad thing to respond to where they're at and help bring them forward.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also....lack of schema. What happens in their brains when they read such obtuse language? Maybe having a side column where they record what they actually THINK of passages as they read them and then sharing out will help kids share and build schema. Also, reading it yourself, aloud, and pausing to add your own schematic references models cognition of tough materials. Just some ideas.

    ReplyDelete